This healthy habit can change your life
It’s 2020! The start of a new year; the start of a new decade. Starting a new year calls for new plans, new resolutions and new dreams. Some we accomplish; others we don’t. Some are nice-to-haves; others are life-changing.
Here’s a new habit that I hope you will consider. After all, a plethora of research confirms the positive impacts on your health and happiness, and your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.
Embracing your community and friends.
It sounds simple enough, but the reality is that our busy and bustling lifestyles can push healthy social interactions way down our list of priorities.
We hardly have enough time for our to-do lists, let alone a casual lunch with a dear friend. But here are a few reasons why community and relationships should be on your priority list for 2020:
- Social connections are good for us; loneliness kills us. In his TEDx Talk, Robert Waldinger, the Director of the Harvard Study of Adult Development, shared the findings of one of the most comprehensive longitudinal studies in history. He shares that good-quality relationships keep us happier and healthier as we age. See it here.
- A greater sense of purpose in life. When we’re a part of a community, we become connected to something greater than ourselves. This can help to clarify our purpose in life. Having a purpose increases our sense of accomplishment, achievement, and sense of happiness. This, in turn, leaves the body full of health-inducing hormones that strengthen the immune system, relaxes the cardio vascular system and the body’s daily activated stress response. Here’s an SCMP story that I contributed to sharing the importance of purpose to longevity and happiness.
- A support system in tough times – In times of turbulence, uncertainty and despair, a community can hold us, reminding us of who we are, what our purpose is, and put our problems into perspective. We hold hands, we share hearts, and we heal together.
In Hong Kong, you may wish to connect with these communities:
- Garden Gathering – a conscious community of women and children that come together in an annual event to share and learn healing arts, celebrate womanhood, and cherish Mother Earth. www.thegardengathering.com
- Be Love – a community of loving souls living in Hong Kong that access greater levels of compassion and love, coming together to support the city in times of distress and uncertainty. Facebook: #beloveHK
- Impact HK – a registered NGO dedicated to bringing hope, healing and a home to the homeless. Its volunteers regularly meet for Kindness Walks to offer friendship and support to the homeless in Hong Kong. impacthk.org
- Kirtan – Kirtan and sound healing lovers unite to co-create love, kindness, and healing through chanting and healing sounds. The current schedule includes:
Drumming, Kirtan and Soul songs at Mana! Starstreet, Wan Chai.
10 Jan, Fri, 6pm onwards
An evening with Kumi, Joss, Clayton and Yana. No registration required.
Bakti workshop at Mui Training Hub, Tin Hau.
11 Jan, Sat, 9-1pm
Bakti worshop with Joss Jaffe, Delia Leung and Bernice Tong
Registration directly with Delia Leung
Kirtan with Joss Jaffe at Enhale Meditation Studio, Central.
11 Jan, Sat, 4-6pm
Reservation required with Enhale Meditation Studio.
Mantra workshop with Joss Jaffe at Mui Training Hub, Tin Hau.
12 Jan, Sun, 1:30-3pm
Registration with Delia Leung
Meditation with Kirtan at IMI Central.
6.15-7.15pm, 3 Feb
To secure your seat book now by calling 2523.7121 or email: email@example.com
Tween and Teen Empowerment DayFest.
8 Feb, Sat, 9:30-5:30pm
Kirtan joins Tween and Teen Empowerment DayFest with Michelle Harris.
Mum & Child Empowerment DayFest.
7 Mar, Sat, 9:30-5:30pm
Kirtan joins Mum & Child Empowerment DayFest with Michelle Harris.
Kirtan WhatsApp Group with Monthly Events and Playlists.
We have been growing beautifully and organically and have created a WhatsApp group for our community. The objective of this group is to share Kirtan and related events, Spotify playlists, and our passion for healing.
If you wish to join the group, please WhatsApp me on: 9126.3747
Want to know more about Kirtan? Visit www.manipurawellness.com/kirtan
“Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much”
Here’s to a new year and decade of meaningful connections and healthy relationships. We are not meant to journey through life alone. May you all feel safe, supported, valued and loved for all that you are and all that you bring to the world.
Manipura Wellness Practice
Photo Credit: Perry Grone, Unsplash